|Product Category||Tape Media|
|Storage Type||LTO Media|
|Dimensions (WxDxH)||113 x 27.9 x 111|
HPE LTO-6 Ultrium 6.25TB BaFe RW Data Cartridge
LTO General Information
HPE LTO Ultrium Storage Supplies
Because Hewlett Packard Enterprise offers a complete data protection portfolio for Hybrid IT, it understands the critical role of tape media reliability for long term archival storage and as a safeguard against accidental or deliberate data disruption.
HPE is more than a media vendor, it is a storage technology leader: LTO Ultrium cartridges are the ultimate ‘last line of defence’ underpinning HPE’s comprehensive Hybrid IT data protection solutions.
Compared to the logo test, Hewlett Packard Enterprise has tighter, more controlled specifications in key areas like environmental interchange and load/ unload. Hewlett Packard Enterprise also has stringent process controls such as regular ongoing Full Volume Life and ‘Green Tape’ Testing (GTT) tests. The Hewlett Packard Enterprise brand specification is broader and deeper than those stipulated by the LTO logo test because HPE media reliability testing takes account of how media is used, not just how it is made.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage leadership and deep heritage in tape enable metrics that actively shape LTO media R&D and manufacturing. This knowledge is used directly to improve customer experiences and provide better tape media products – for example, it’s how HPE’s Green Tape Test, the gold standard for archival reliability, first originated. Since the beginning of 2016, over 8,500 cartridges have been tested in HPE’s demanding GTT protocol. Almost 950 million meters of media have been pulled and over 55 million gigabytes of data have been written.
Backed by this uncompromising media qualification process, HPE LTO Ultrium data cartridges support all HPE StoreEver and non HPE LTO Ultrium tape devices. The latest eighth generation products minimize interruption to network and SAN backup by being capable of protecting 1.30 TB/hour of data at native speeds and storing up to 12 TB native (30 TB assuming 2.5:1 compression) on one piece of media (480% greater capacity than HPE LTO-6 Ultrium tapes and 1000% greater than LTO-5).
Key Features & Benefits
- Up to 30 TB compressed capacity on HPE StoreEver and non-HPE LTO-8 devices.
- Includes support for LTO-7 Type M initialised cartridges providing up to 22.5 TB (assuming 2.5:1 compression)
Notes: LTO-7 Type M cartridges can only be initialized in a Tape library with LTO-8 drives that supports LTO-7 Type M.
- Supports transfer speeds of 360 MB/s (native), 700 MB/s (assuming 2.5:1 compression) with LTO- 8
- Tested to extremes to a level performance unique to Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Many of the test procedures required for successful HPE Brand qualification (e.g. Green Tape Test, load/unload, shoeshine, drop testing and environmental stress testing) are not required for the Ultrium logo.
- Both Re-Writable and WORM (LTO-3 and later) formats available.
- Unique HPE colored cartridges to assist with identification in mixed media environments.
- Very low cost per GB compared to alternative storage technologies that could be used for long term archival and retention.
- Superior 'smart grabber' mechanism and mechanical interlock to prevent the leader pin from being pulled inside the tape housing.
- LTO cartridge memory in media to improve access time and provide enhanced media monitoring.
- Durable cartridge designed to minimize wear and debris (important in automation).
- HPE LTO-4 through LTO-8 supports native tape device data encryption for enhanced data security - granted FIPS140-2 Level 1 certification
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise offers Custom Labeled and Non-Custom Labeled Tri Optic data cartridges. All labeled solutions are shipped in 20 packs.
- Custom Labeled offerings allow automation customers to customize cartridges with a unique bar code sequence. Custom labels are pre-attached to the tapes before shipment. Available worldwide with a leadtime of up to 15 working days. Please note Europe requires a Minimum Order Quantity of 5 units or 100 total data cartridges (1 SKU unit 20 cartridges).
- HPE Non-Custom Labeled tapes allow automation customers to receive labeled media without the lead times associated with a custom labeled solution. Barcode sequences are pre-determined by Hewlett Packard Enterprise and are guaranteed to be unique.
Why Buy LTO?
- The decision about which tape technology you should buy next should be based on your future, not your past, investment. Choose the LTO Ultrium format when you need the following advantages:
- Maximum reliability, capacity and performance
- Compatibility with a broad range of operating systems and servers (e.g., a mixed system environment)
- A legacy-free technology that uses the best attributes from a wide range of tape technologies without any compromises for backward compatibility requirements
- A solid roadmap for future generations of the technology
- An open format available from multiple vendors
- Lowest cost
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise ensures the highest level of quality with a specification for HPE Brand LTO Ultrium tapes that far exceed industry standards and are monitored throughout every batch of production.
- Ultimately, the best possible microscope to test tape cartridges is a tape drive, or rather thousands of tape drives, performing the same backup and restore tasks as end users. As a leader in LTO Ultrium hardware and storage supplies,
- HPE has comprehensive R&D and manufacturing programs to scrutinise the performance of tape backup solutions under every conceivable kind of stress. Since the beginning of 2016, in HPE's demanding GTT protocol, over 8,500 cartridges have been tested. Almost 950 million meters of media have been pulled and over 55 million gigabytes of data have been written.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Brand qualification also includes procedures like drop testing, creep append, load/unload, environmental stress tests and archival simulation that are not required to gain the LTO Ultrium logo
- Designed for the demanding environment of large-scale libraries, HPE LTO Ultrium media has a 30-year archival storage life.