All in One Recorder, Mixer and Audio Interface - Anytime, Anywhere
The Roland R-88 establishes a new standard in professional portable recording by providing seamless integration of a recorder, mixer and a multi-channel audio interface. With eight discrete channels of audio recording plus a stereo mix, the R-88 is ideal for demanding multi-channel applications such as location sound design, event production, event videography, and live musical performance.
- Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)
- Up to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)
- 3 hours of recording time using 32GB SDHC card (24bit/96kHz, 10ch)
- 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output
- Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band EQ and MS microphone decoder
- Built-in 10in/8out USB audio interface to use with any common DAW
- Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation
- SMPTE time code in/out for video sync
- BWF and iXML embedded metadata
- Supported power types – AA batteries, rechargeable Ni-MH battery, AC power, and 4-pin XLR external battery types.
Surround Field Recording and Monitoring
The surround recording and monitoring workflow consists of a Holophone H2-Pro 7.1 Microphone feeding a Roland R-88 8-channel field recorder which in turn is connected via USB to a PC running a plug-in for DTS Headphone:X technology. Because the Roland R-88 is also an USB audio interface, while it is recording the 7.1 audio data it can simultaneously send all eight channels to a PC for backup recording or in this case, to be further processed using the DTS Headphone:X technology. See more information and photos. The R-4 Pro is a part of our series of audio field recorders. Compare Audio Field Recorders.
Features in V1.10 Update:
- Polyphonic WAV Function - ability to save 2,4,6 or 8 channels in a single file
- Control the R-88 using MIDI via the Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI interface - mix with a MIDI-controllable fader unit
- Selectable input delay per channel - adjustable by 0.05 - 20 ms - ideal for surround micing
- Cut-off frequency per channel - adjustable range 60-250Hz
- Sensitivity gain and headphone boost functions
- Expanded footswitch parameters
Seamless integration of recording, mixing and an audio interface - a new dimension in professional portable recording.
The Roland R-88 includes all the features required by location sound professionals including a full on-board mixer, various timecode modes and slate tone/mic for memos. The stereo mix output on the R-88 is perfect for location sound recording applications enabling a stereo mix back to the camera to record reference audio or provides a stereo monitor output while simultaneously recording individual tracks. With 8 discrete outputs you can also embed the audio tracks into a SDI video feed by using a multi-channel SDI audio embedder. It also features professional AES/EBU digital I/O to digitally record from or send to a mixing console or other digital source.
The R-88's built-in mixer is equipped with a 3-band EQ enabling a quality stereo mix to be monitored and/or recorded simultaneously along with each discrete audio track. The large touch screen display enables clear and intuitive device setup and control.